PDS criticises SED formation

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Apr 22 15:11:03 PDT 2001

At 20/04/01 16:50 +0200, Johannes wrote:

>I think you got the meaning quite well.

Thanks for the FAZ report. I had not realised that "gewollt" meant forced, and not necessarily "wanted". That makes their title much more direct and less nuanced.

>SPD General Secretary Franz Müntefering said the PDS had "fulfilled a
>long-standing, justified demand by the SPD." The "gesture of apology" came
>"just as late as it was necessary" and was "a step in the right direction,"
>he said.

I certainly have the impression that the national SPD leadership, including Schroeder, has decided it would like to have flexibility in negotiating coalition or at least minority support with parties other than just the Greens. That includes the PDS, as well as the FDP.

Müntefering's statement could presumably have been coordinated with the PDS statement.

Chris Burford