Fw: in support of independent unionized bookstores

Michele michele at maui.net
Mon Apr 23 12:56:19 PDT 2001

---------- From: Erik G Haunold <egh17 at alliedhi.net> To: Erik Haunold <egh17 at alliedhi.net> Subject: in support of independent unionized bookstores Date: Monday, April 23, 2001 9:31 AM

I thought some of you might be interested in this. if you're going to use Powell's Books in Portland, Or., try connecting through ILWU Local 5's website: http://www.ilwulocal5.com/

Through our partnership program with powells.com, when you connect to Powell's through this site, 10% of everything you buy goes directly to Powell's employees.

This Profit sharing agreement, which we bargained for, replaces a defunct one controlled by management. None of the profit sharing funds go to the union, but are distributed quarterly and equally among employees. The store itself has over one million books in stock and a fast growing online business. We are the first major online bookseller that is a union shop. Every book that is purchased through our site will send a clear message to management that the community supports our democratic workplace. Local 5 would not have been possible without your support. Thank you for visiting our site to buy your books.