Fwd: FC: IMC responds to post about FBI visit and court gag order

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 24 13:28:53 PDT 2001

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:51:33 -0500 To: politech at politechbot.com From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> Subject: FC: IMC responds to post about FBI visit and court gag order X-URL: Politech is at http://www.politechbot.com/ X-Author: Declan McCullagh is at http://www.mccullagh.org/ X-News-Site: Cluebot is at http://www.cluebot.com/

**********

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:30:23 -0700 From: Micah Anderson <micah at indymedia.org> To: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> Cc: wdcowley at earthlink.net Subject: Re: FBI raids Seattle journalist collective, delivers gag order Message-ID: <20010424123023.E1873 at riseup.net> References: <5.0.2.1.0.20010424143049.02037e60 at mail.well.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline

ARG! You have no idea how much I laughed when I read the Seattle PI story, it is so grossly inaccurate it HURTS. Don't worry, the IMC has not been raided, nothing has been taken, the FBI did visit, but DAMN people freak out about the most random rumors... Please make it known that this PI article is so full of errors it cannot be trusted ("Sherry" - they can't even spell her name right), we are speaking with the PI for a retraction and corrections.

Micah IMC

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:45:55 -0700 From: Micah Anderson <micah at indymedia.org> To: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> Subject: Re: FBI raids Seattle journalist collective, delivers gag order

the imc has been served with an order, the contents of which are covered by a protective order issued by the court, which essentially means we can't talk about it. we're consulting with our lawyer in nyc as well as local counsel, both of which are avidly opposed to any violation of the bill of rights.

the situation is under control and we'll be passing along information as soon as we are able, once we are able to not purjure ourselves due to the gag order, all will be clear, but the IMC has not been compromised in any way, no RAID happened. We had a visit, but it was strictly to serve the order. It is in no way as bad as it sounds.

Trust me, the full information will be available when we can make it so, but at this point we have to make sure that we aren't harming ourselves by revealing. It is simply a matter of making sure we don't harm the IMC as an entity by purjuring ourselves before the court. Unfortunately this sort of silence and secrecy is what makes the left paranoid (rightly so, see the FTAA text for a good example), and claims to be made that may or may not be true. Our highest priority is to make it so we can set the record straight and not harm ourselves by doing so, but it is safe to say that things are just fine, there is no need for fear, and definately no need for rumors.

Micah

------------------------------------------------------------------------- POLITECH -- Declan McCullagh's politics and technology mailing list You may redistribute this message freely if it remains intact. To subscribe, visit http://www.politechbot.com/info/subscribe.html This message is archived at http://www.politechbot.com/ -------------------------------------------------------------------------