QUEBEC CRACKPOTS

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 03:43:26 PDT 2001

>From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>
>. . .
>In retrospect, it's an interesting thought exercise to figure out what
>would have happened if the current crop of anti-capitalists activists
>had planned the resistance. Perhaps a clash with the cops at Andrews Air
>Force base several weeks after the war started? Sabotage of military
>hardware? Destruction of recruiting offices?
>
>For an anti-war movement with veterans from the 1960s, they sure forgot
>what happened back then.
><< Chuck0 >>
>
>Hey Chuckles, I haven't forgotten, and the fact is none
>of that shit mattered.... What mattered was SDS (and later
>YSA, CP-USA, etc.) mobilizing
>college students, SNCC/SCLC mobilizing African-Americans,
>The best example of what
>you're fantasizing about was the Days of Rage/Weatherpeople
>thang in Chicago, and that probably hurt more than helped.
>
>max

Whoa there, MBS. Let's go to the videotape: "This is John Chancellor reporting, somewhere in custody." ... Footage of Dan Rather getting decked by one of Mayor Daley's henchmen. ... Daley on-camera saying, "The police are not here to create disorder. The police are here to preserve disorder." ... and of course: "The whole world is watching."

And, yes, the whole world *was* watching. For one stroboscopically illuminated moment in 1968, in those and many other scenes the City of Broad Shoulders and Peanut-sized Brains showed the entire globe what a crock of crap U.S. democracy basically is. That's worth something.