QUEBEC CRACKPOTS

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Apr 25 08:04:40 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

> Hey Chuckles, I haven't forgotten, and the fact is none
> of that shit mattered. What mattered was SDS (and later
> YSA, CP-USA, etc.) mobilizing
> college students, SNCC/SCLC mobilizing African-Americans,
> nascent movements of GI's, trade unionists starting to
> get into the act. I don't think illegal acts impressed
> anyone, except for mass civil disobedience and draft
> resistance.

Did these efforts stop the war? Nope. The Left anti-war movement had trailed off by 1971 and the war didn't end until 1974. If anything stopped the war, it was the pot-smoking GIs who fragged at least 3% of the officer core.

The anti-war movement was an impressive phenomenon, but it gives itself way too much credit for ending the war.

> The best example of what
> you're fantasizing about was the Days of Rage/Weatherpeople
> thang in Chicago, and that probably hurt more than helped.

That's a bit different and you know it. The Weatherpeople thought they were going to start a Maoist revolution.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).