Officers Charged for Kosovo Killings/Rugova associate shot de ad

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Wed Apr 25 10:11:52 PDT 2001

. Those who want Serbia to act more like Croatia should start treating Serbia more like Croatia. Instead, Serbia gets sanctions while Croatia gets aid. Serbia gets hostile militaries threatening its borders while Croatia gets security guarantees from NATO. Serbia is portrayed as a genocidal civilization while Croatia is welcomed into the "international community." Then people are shocked - shocked! - when Serbs become paranoid and insular.

Kostunica has said he favors some kind of truth commission to investigate "our crimes and the crimes of others." Again, the Susan Sontags of the world hate this idea. They *don't* want the Serbs to do what the Croats are doing - to say "we committed terrible crimes too." They want the Serbs to say: "It was all our fault. We accept the Madeleine Albright version of Yugoslav history. We are the perpetrators and everyone else is a victim." And Serbia is no more willing to do that than Croatia - or anyone else - is.

Seth