How Feds Spend More on Suburban Educ. than in Poor Schools

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 25 10:25:23 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

>NN- One more reason why tax equality matters as much as total spending-NN

I think I mentioned this before in a similar context, but there's a Luxembourg Income Study working paper - I forget the exact cite - showing that countries with progressive tax systems have generally lower levels of social spending, so the combined effect of post-fisc income redistribution is worse. The U.S. has one of the more progressive tax systems around, but one of the worst income distributions.

Doug