punishment(was: Student Loans & Bankruptcies (was Re: creativefinancing)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 19:45:32 PDT 2001

Deterrence is a complicated and delicate empirical question. The people do do commit crimes--not just violent ones--are not the only relevant group. They are, by definition, the failures of deterrence. One also has to consider those who might commit crimes, but don't. Current studies support the idea that most people obey the law because they think it's right rather than because of fear of punishment. But some people are deterred from commiting crimes, or worse crimes then they do commit, by fear of punishment. Just taking deterrence as to be the main goal of criminal justice, which it is not in our or any country, once would have to look carefully at the evidence of who is deterred by what sort of bad consequences, and consider the costs of over- and under-deterring. This sort of analysis is virtually never done, partly because it is hard, and partly because criminal justice serves other goals and needs--partly retribution, and partly even less justifiable needs, such as suppressing the parts of the population that are its main object--the poor and minorities. --jks