The Coming Anarchy

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Apr 27 12:50:51 PDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Bob Morris wrote:

> One thing he points out, over and over, is the Western idea of forcing
> countries to have multi-party democracy and elections

I see no sign of either in Bananamerica, where the two branches of the single party of Capital don't even bother to count the popular vote, or to hide the auctioning off of candidates.

> One analogy he uses is that of a limo speeding down a bumpy road. Most of
> the world is outside, begging, with a very few, living well, inside the
> limo.

They're not begging, they're *working* -- on farms, factories, mines, plantations, businesses, etc. Their labor is expropriated by a vicious system of neocolonialism, which enriches a tiny First World elite and trashes everything and everyone else. But they have their own language, culture, traditions, art, perspectives, etc. which are just as complex and sophisticated as anything in an Athlon chip. It's a different kind of complexity, is all; not necessarily better or worse. As someone who deals with global culture, I can tell you that in spite of all the obstacles one could think of, folks who live in the neocolonies produce stunning works of art, novels, stories, films: Naguib Mahfouz; Ousmane Sembene; Nawil Sadawi; Can Xue; Duong Thu Huong, etc.

-- Dennis