Missing in Action

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 27 12:58:31 PDT 2001

Gordon:

>Yoshie Furuhashi:
>>
> > Is what Chomsky says above too subtle or too "bourgeois" for you?
>

>Noam Chomsky certainly isn't _my_ pope. It's a sad state of
>affairs when someone with Chomsky's opinions is considered a
>far-out radical.

The question is not whether Chomsky is or isn't considered "a far-out radical." The question in this thread is whether what he says on the POW/MIA issue is true or false.

>My basic approach to the POW/MIA cult and its manipulators
>is this: the higher the status a person occupies, the more
>likely it is that he (or she) routinely lies, cheats, steals
>and kills, although unlike lower-class people they usually
>do it through institutions rather than personally; it's safer
>that way. It takes only a brief reflection on the requirements
>of class war to see why that would tend to be the case. I
>don't follow Chomsky's career closely, but he seems to go
>around to academic institutions, gather audiences, and
>astound them with instances of what should be the obvious
>assumed default case for the exercise of State power. One
>wonders how often the story has to be told before someone
>draws the necessary conclusions. I guess it's just really
>very hard to penetrate bourgeois indoctrination.

The paragraph above is basically a collection of ad hominem arguments of the circumstantial variety. The burden of proof is upon you, if you continue to either assert that American prisoners of war are still held in some secret cells by the Vietnamese or believe those who assert such nonsense.

Yoshie