NYT: Tough Conservative Picked For Drug Czar, Officials Say (fwd)

j.f. noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Fri Apr 27 14:13:51 PDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, DMJ forwarded:

> Tough Conservative Picked
> For Drug Czar, Officials Say

This would be different somehow that that loud mouthed facsist war criminal that Clinton had in there?

> Mr. Walters favors severe prison sentences for violent felons, marijuana
> smugglers and repeat offenders, but he views first-time drug users more
> leniently.

If true, that's an improvement over McCraffrey.

> He criticized a recommendation by the United States
> Sentencing Commission in 1995 to reduce sentences for
> dealers of crack cocaine significantly.

So did shithead. As well as making an ass out of himself in the Netherlands.

> Mr. Walters' background as a chief of enforcement and supply
> reduction in the last Bush administration has raised the
> concerns of some that he will not focus enough on treatment
> and prevention.

So what else is new?

> "Some of his positions in my own view need to be carefully
> considered by the confirmation committee," General McCaffrey
> said in an interview today. "I am hopeful to maintain a
> commitment to the bipartisan support for treatment
> programs."

This fucker is shameless.

> when President Clinton slashed his staff to 25 from 146 and announced he
> would reorient anti-narcotics policy to focus on hard-core users, while
> de-emphasizing law enforcement and interdiction.

And then sent the Marines out to shoot some 18 year old boy hearding goats...

> He also advocated giving the military a lead role in
> interdiction efforts, stiffening federal marijuana
> penalties, and opposed federal financing for needle
> exchanges to reduce the spread of AIDS.

Making him exactly in agreement with Klinton!

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com