Punishment as pleasure?

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Sat Apr 28 02:36:07 PDT 2001

Shane speculated:

> > Could it also be jealousy? Not that I want to sound nuts, but I've
> > often wondered if the most vociferous law & order vultures'
> > outrage stems from the fact that a criminal can commit acts
> > they resent being denied the freedom to engage in. And to
> > rationalize this they use the cry of "eye for eye" and righteousness
> > to veil their own sadism. Any thoughts?

Justin queried:

> A sort of Nietzschean speculation: I like it. But why is that
> peculiarly American? --jks

I suppose it's not. However, it could explain how people can accept the incarceration boom, while the state's motivation remains the need to control surplus population and pursuing stability in the face of extremes of wealth and poverty. The bit about punishment as pleasure is why it's bought, social control is why there's an abundant supply.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.