OTOH, the NYT at its worst

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 29 14:02:52 PDT 2001

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: 'In Latin America, Foes Aren't the Only Danger'
>Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 12:56:36
>
>[One of the better NY Times articles I have read in some time. From
>today's edition.]
>
>In Latin America, Foes Aren't the Only Danger
>
>By Tim Weiner

[Offsetting the creditable piece cited above, the NYT today also serves up the following dreck -- the lead from "Reckonings," the regular column written by a certain future Nobel economics laureate.]

The Real Wolf

By Paul Krugman

Recently I received a letter from an economist I respect, chiding me for my "Naderite" columns on the California energy crisis. He just didn't believe that market manipulation by power companies could possibly be an important issue; it sounded too much to him like the sort of thing one hears from knee-jerk leftists, who blame greedy capitalists for every problem, be it third-world poverty or high apartment rents. The left has cried "Wolf!" so many times that sensible people have learned to discount such claims.

[Full text: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/29/opinion/29KRUG.html?pagewanted=print]

Carl