teachers: not what they used to be

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sun Apr 29 13:00:06 PDT 2001

Yeah, Baumol's disease. Teaching isn't subject to Moore's law and all that. But there's plenty of political connotation to it. If we follow market logic, resources should follow productivity for the maximum payoff, and we shouldn't care if teachers are poorly paid, because they're getting what they deserve, marginal product-wise. The logic of it is impeccable, in the Larry Summers/Lant Pritchett sense, no? Doug

Insofar as the public sector is less productive, efficiency dictates a shift of resources, but this assumes the pre-existing level of resources was efficient to begin with and abstracts from how income growth might affect preferences for this or that.

Baumol's story could be used to defend increased public sector costs. It boils down to, look, if you want your kid to have the same math teacher you had, you have to recognize the old boy could make a lot more now then before. The out-migration of skilled women from this sector previously mentioned goes to the same point.

I think laying Pritchett and Summers on Baumol is a bit much. After all, Baumol has read Capital three times.

mbs