US economy may have bottomed out

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Mon Apr 30 00:13:57 PDT 2001

I don't know what the pollsters mean by 'consumer sentiment', but I do know consumers now need stuff we didn't used to need (a linked computer, for one) and I also know that people, long bereft of their savings, will spend when interest rates are low and the currency is high. If inventory clear-outs are responsible for keeping interest rates and inflation at bay, and if those clear-outs are apparently over, then we'd be looking at some push-inflation pretty soon, wouldn't we?

And what does it mean to say: "Only a few industries, like telecommunications and computers, are still working off excess stocks"? How does a telco work off excess stocks? Cutting off subscribers? Destroying competitors in markets with duplicated wire backbones? There's way too much bandwidth out there, sure, but people aren't paying up to get telly on their computers or their mobile phones, and I don't think they're about to. I think we are talking natural monopoly here (as we are with electricity) and 'competition' is either an illusion (colluding oligopoly) or a transient phase (pre-remerger) - either way, these important chunks of equity markets and real economy alike are in no position painlessly to 'work off excess stocks'. Residential saving is still zilch, the CAD is still stably beyond imaginable redemption, dotcoms still haven't found a way to operate without unsustainably subsidising their customers, there's still substantial excess capacity in the manufacturing sector, Latin America is still on the precipice, China is still outrivalled by SE Asian manufacturers, Japan is still wallowing and most Asian producers still depend decisively on a continually slavering US maw and consistently strong greenback.

Methinks stuff can still go very wrong while the US depends on credit and the world depends on the US.

Cheers, Rob.