Authority was re: Anarchism and Democratic Principles of Majority Rule and Minority Rights

Andrew Flood andrewflood at eircom.net
Mon Apr 30 03:11:51 PDT 2001

>Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:27:10 EDT
>From: LeoCasey at aol.com
>Subject: Anarchism and Democratic Principles of Majority Rule and Minority
>Rights

Leo there is something weird with the way your posts are formatted which makes them hard to follow when they include multiple quotes. But one point I picked ou

>One of the problems with anarchism is its inability to distinguish between=20
>authority, which can be democratic, egalitarian and limited, and=20
>authoritarianism, a form of authority which is not democratic, egalitarian o=
>r=20
>limited. The refusal of all hierachy is a refusal of all authority.

This is not at all accurate. Bakunin for instance (anarchist who has been dead longer then Marx) spent some time discussing two forms of authority, one acceptable, the other unacceptable. Basically we often choose to give authority to people because we accept their expertise on a given area.

For example, if a doctor tells me she wants to cut me open and remove my appendix I'll probably allow it because she is an authority on health. I'm freely accepting the doctors authority or leadership on this issue. But I'd be against any system where the doctor was given the power to do this against my will. This is a different form of authority, that where an individual or authority can compel you to obey them. It is this form of authority that the states rests on and which we call authoritarianism for short.

Andrew

International anarchism

http://struggle.ws/inter.html

Issues-> http://struggle.ws/revolt.html Me + PGP-> http://struggle.ws/andrew.html

Fax: 001 503 218 9764 (US number as it uses Efax)