UAW losses in 2000

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Mon Apr 30 08:23:06 PDT 2001

Mark Rickling wrote: (in an interesting and persuasive post)

> You're also right that the UAW has had little recent success in organizing
> the parts industry.Yet the UAW could be doing more to facilitate organizing
> these workers. While parts production might be spread out between hundreds
> of different suppliers and located in hundreds of different locales, final
> assembly is certainly centralized, and unionized to boot. It doesn't take
> much to imagine acts of solidarity that could potentially put great pressure
> on management to stop fighting an organizing drive. One such tactic involves
> workers at a Big 3 assembly plant red tagging -- that is, marking as
> defective -- every lot of parts that comes from a certain parts factory.
> >From what I gather such efforts are sadly few and far between.

But this would mean a confrontation with the Federal Courts. A course of action that would risk jail for the leaders and the confiscation of union funds. Of course organized labor owes what it has to its predecessors who risked just that. But that was then.

(Daydream) Given the degree to which the Supremes majority is discredited, it's a wonderful time for a challenge to the entire claim of Federal Judicial Authority over labor disputes. That's how the Norris-LaGuardia Act (which for a crucial time removed the ability of Federal Judges to enjoin labor disputes) came about. "Reform" of the labor law will then come about when it's clear that labor will not obey the unreformed law. And Nathan (when he gets out of jail) gets to draft the new legislation.

john mage