teachers: not what they used to be

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Apr 30 09:06:19 PDT 2001

Based on the abstract that you posted, the article seems to miss two points. In the first place, as some people here already suggested, professional hierarchies are socially constructed and teachers rank near the bottom of all professionals, even though society probably expects more from them than from lawyers.

On a more fundamental level of economic theory, the productivity of teachers is not measured in physical terms. If the relative value of education is increasing over time, then even if the teachers' output is unchanged, its value is increasing.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu