Gays behing Foot and Mouth

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 09:56:23 PDT 2001

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/po/20010427/co/pastor_blames_gays_for_foot-and-mouth_1.html

Pastor Blames Gays for Foot-and-Mouth By Matt Alsdorf, Gay.com / PlanetOut.com Network SUMMARY: Scientists haven't yet identified the cause of Britain's devastating foot-and-mouth outbreak, but one local pastor thinks he knows who's to blame: the gays.

A British church pastor is distributing leaflets claiming that the latest outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in the U.K. countryside was caused by God's disapproval of homosexuality.

In the Moreton Christian Assembly's newsletter, pastor Ray Borlase suggests that the devastation wrought by foot-and-mouth disease is linked to the recent reduction in the U.K.'s age of consent for gay sex to 16.

"The last major outbreak of foot-and-mouth was in 1967. A Christian leader at that time linked that outbreak with two acts of Parliament. The first was the Abortion Act and the second was the legalising of homosexuality," writes Borlase. "Those acts permitted behaviour which would have brought the disapproval of God upon our nation. Soon afterwards the foot-and-mouth disease began to affect our country.

"In recent weeks, just prior to this outbreak, Parliament lowered the age of consent for homosexual acts to 16 -- mere minors! We have failed to protect our children from perversion. ... There is such a similarity between events in 1967 and this outbreak that we have to conclude this is more than a coincidence."

Local resident Julie Dean described herself as "totally and utterly gobsmacked" by the pamphlet. "It is publications like this that drive up the suicide rate for young gay people. Now every homophobic idiot thinks they have an excuse to terrorize lesbians and gays after a rowdy night at the pub, and I can guarantee that it will happen," she said. "The pastor of Moreton Christian Assembly should be ashamed of himself."

But Borlase did not back down from his allegations, saying, "The Bible clearly states that homosexuality is wrong."