teachers: not what they used to be

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Apr 30 04:54:48 PDT 2001

Not Baumol, who seems like not a bad sort, but the NBER guy and the uses to which his paper could be put. I'm tempted to say that once you use the language of productivity to talk about the public sector, the battle is already half lost. Doug

You could also say the battle is already half lost. If you don't contest the productivity issue, you lose the rest too. There is no real disagreement that education is important. To the contrary, the scuttlebutt is that it is more important than ever. Farmer Perelman mentioned this. I alluded to how income growth could be expected to increase demand.

The real issue is public v. private. The cost disease lit does not grant any advantage to private providers. The same factors reduce productivity in private schools and make them more expensive too.

mbs