UAW losses in 2000

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 30 12:04:20 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Bob Fitch told me that a UAW guy once told him that they thought
> parts workers were just too much trouble to organize, and not really
> worth it, since they make much less money, and aren't worth it from a
> dues collection perspective. How's that for business unionism?

Back in 1970 a friend of mine from SIU had to get out of Illinois after the events in Carbondale that spring, and ended up working for a parts plant in Detroit. I can't remember the details, but in many ways work at that plant was not too dissimilar from sweatshop work -- long hours and low pay. Most of the workers were white males over 50. They started a Union drive on their own -- and appealed to the UAW for help. Not only would the union not help them, it wouldn't even let them use a union hall for their meetings. They had to meet in a public park. The drive failed.

Carrol