QUEBEC CRACKPOTS

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Apr 30 13:27:52 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

> And if it did, it would have the democratic weight to contest tactics by the
> far larger, more representative mass groups like unions and environmental
> groups that also participate. But most of the anarchists who show up
> represent no one but themselves and are still not a majority of
> participants. Yet they still don't respect the (more) democratically agreed
> to tactics of the majority.

Are you talking about the democratically agreed-upon tactics of those unions who marched? Apparently, more than a few union members complained bitterly about not being told where the march would end up.

The anarchists who showed up would agree with you, that they represented nobody but themselves. That's one of the tenets of anarchism, that only you can represent your interests. We could get into a discussion about recallable delegates, but I don't think any of the anarchists had been "delegated" to do anything.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).