Appeal from Tao Collective

Mon Apr 30 11:16:53 PDT 2001

A forward.

CB

((((((((

We've had a tragedy over the weekend. A major hardware failure. This was partly a result of the dramatic increase in activity our facilities underwent during the recent protests surrounding the Summit of the Americas in Quebec City.

We have lost our main /home paritition, and most of the data that was on it. In all likelyhood, if you are a tao user, this is your data that was lost. We hope you have backups. Most of our backups were destroyed, as the hardware failure happened, yesterday, Sunday, when we were trying to install a new drive.

this was the last uptime we had:

4:30pm up 5:44, 7 users, load average: 164.11, 154.85, 111.92

note the last three sets of numbers. they've never been that high on the dojo. this was a major system failure...

Please contact us via admin at tao.ca and we can try and help you. Obviously this is a major set back for us, and could not have come at a worse time. What follows is an announcement we were going to send out this weekend, but the hardware troubles prevented us from doing so. We now send this out with extra urgency, and more desperation when we ask for your help.

It is a challenge for us to provide facilities that are used by thousands of activists and revolutionaries around the world. We are volunteers, and spend our time working for social change, so when we have to do hardware work, it is an extra burden. This last weekend has been very stressful, as it comes only a week after we were active in one of the largest demonstrations this side of North America...

TAO Communications P.O. Box 108 Station P Toronto Ont M5S 2S8 Canada

Your contributions and solidarity are urgently requested to follow-up TAO capacities and skills in actions against global capitalism in Quebec City!

TAO delivered on our offer to inform street activists' decision-making by coordinating ourselves through bilingual liaisons and applying our labour on the ground with the confidence of being recognizable in person. Protest strategies benefited from direct access to information kept open by dedicated tao workers.

Our focus on equipping medics in general and communications workers in other anti-FTAA groups in particular strengthened the solidarity necessary to repeatedly confront the security fence and reliably share intelligence throughout the city. An autoworker union organizer said our communications practices were the best -- we share her praise with each and all of you TAO contributors, supporters, workers, and operatives.

Heavy on-line footsteps have put our main TAO server - dojo.tao.ca - on its last legs. TAO off-line workers urgently request your contributions for the maintenance and development of our shared resouces such as dojo. Send money and/or gear to TAO P.O. Box 108, Station 'P', Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 2S8.

Active TAO member Jaggi Sing of the Anti-Capitalist Convergence - www.tao.ca/~clac - remains in jail after being kidnapped April 20 in Quebec City. Yesterday, April 26, Jaggi's bail was refused. Your solidarity is needed to organize for Jaggi's freedom and against any impunity of state agents (like a death squad, plain-clothed thugs beat Jaggi without provocation, threw him in their unmarked vehicle, and raced away).

We look forward to your renewed contributions and solidarity.

TAO Toronto collective adelaide at tao.ca http://news.tao.ca

Please forward this message and ask others to support us. If there ever was a time we needed support, it is now...