The New Welfare Paradigm

Mon Apr 30 14:11:27 PDT 2001

>>> sokol at jhu.edu 04/30/01 04:00PM >>>
Having said that, I do belive however, that the US approach to public welfare has a major flaw. It is conceived primarily as a an emergency assistance instead the procurement of public goods. That is - aid to children at risk instead of decent public education for all, transportation for the poor and people with special needs rather than decent public transit for all, shelters for marginal elements instead of public housing for all, etc.

The betrayal started not with Reaganite rolling back of the New Deal but the New Deal itself - which was based on the capitalist/neoclassical premise that the private provision of necessities of life is the norm - while public goods are but failures of the private markets.

((((((((

CB: You make a good point , Wojtek. How can we shift the whole range of social and welfare services to the classical U.S. public schools model ? That must be part of the New Welfare Paradigm.

Bring in the New Welfare Society , prevention and cure ! Expand Headstart to a marathon of services. Jobs or income now