Teamsters and Alaskan NWR Oil Drilling

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Aug 1 06:08:31 PDT 2001

No damn the Teamsters for pitting themselves against environmentalists, other unions, and many of their own members.

>From the newswires:

"The labor movement is not completely united behind the Bush energy plan. According to the Alaska Coalition, an Alaska based environmental group, the Communications Workers of America, the National Federal of Independent Unions, the National Writers Union, and the Employees International union are opposed to the drilling.

The Oil Chemical and Atomic Workers (OCAW), the organization that represents Alaska's energy workers, wrote President Clinton in 1996 saying, "We have examined the oil industry's claims of producing hundreds of thousands of jobs throughout the nation from ANWR development and find these are highly dubious.

Although Hoffa has endorsed drilling in ANWR, his political opponents in the Teamsters' Union have criticized the decision.

The Teamsters for a Democratic Union (TDU) replied to Hoffa's endorsement of drilling in ANWR in a statement saying, "We need to stand in solidarity with the environmentalists. When they draw a line, just like we expect them to support us when we draw a line, we need to respect their decisions."

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 8:42 AM Subject: RE: Teamsters and Alaskan NWR Oil Drilling

Damn the environmentalists for putting the environment against workers.

mbs

Damn the teamsters for pitting workers against the environmentalists!

Thomas