Union Organizing in Silicon Valley

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Aug 1 13:25:08 PDT 2001

Actually, if you work in any of the major firms, Hewlett Packard, Sun, Apple, etc., the janitors you see are almost all unionized, one of the most successful campaigns of SEIU in the early 1990s. Food workers have not had similar success, although HERE has had success in cafeteria organizing in other parts of the country and is working to build some national campaigns against the national cafeteria chains.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Seay" <entheogens at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 4:06 PM Subject: Union Organizing in Silicon Valley

Have there been any attempts by organized labor to unionize here in Silicon Valley?

I work here as an engineer but I am not talking about unionizing that group (considering the level of consciouness of most of them that might be impossible), I am talking rather about the janitors, food workers, etc that I see around me.

Thomas