Cincinnati & the X Factor

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 2 09:55:13 PDT 2001

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>At 10:51 AM 7/25/01 -0400, Yoshie quoted:
>>CINCINNATI AND THE X-FACTOR
>>
>>BY DANIEL LAZARE
>>All told, more than 1,500 people were banished at some point or other
>>between September 1996, when the drug exclusion ordinance went into
>>effect, and January 2000, when a federal judge finally struck it down
>>on constitutional grounds following a suit by the ACLU of Ohio. No
>>other news outlet followed up. The rioters "weren't talking about
>>drugs, they were talking about police-community relations," says
>>Richard Green, assistant managing editor for the Enquirer, "the
>>perception that the Cincinnati Police Division treats
>>African-Americans differently than whites."
>

>Let's see. When druggies and assorted undesirables are effectively
>banished from the burbs by a combination of housing pricing, lack of public
>transportation, and policing - that goes mostly unnoticed. However, when
>the said druggies and undesirables are banished from housing projects
>designed for the poor - the liberals cry foul and raise stink.

First apologies for posting this piece again. Didn't know Yoshie had already done the work.

Second, Woj, Dan Lazare is no "liberal"; he calls himself a Marxist, in fact. He's also just published a book on American anti-urbanism, which includes lots of critical stuff on housing, public transit, etc. I'll leave aside your cop-o-philia, since we've been through all that before.

Doug