Zionism vs. Black Nationalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 2 08:56:40 PDT 2001

Very belatedly...

Wow. I wish the white bourgeois mentality were as cosmopolitan as Art McGee seems to think it is. I heard some horrific stories in Australia about the treatment of aborigines - just rounding up people & shooting them en masse. And of course there's the wretched treatment of racial(ized) minorities in the U.S. So where is all this cosmopolitanism? And why is the unit of "self-determination" a racialized group? Why is "Africa" the whole, and not Nigerians, or Zulus, or whatever sub-group you want to name? Why should the victims of white racism then take on the racializing model as some kind of liberatory strategy instead of seeing it as divisive and oppressive?

The more I see of nationalism, the more I see there's nothing "progressive" about it - it always involves some exclusionary move, some form of primal racialization.

Workers of the world unite, and all that.

Doug