Mexican trucks

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 3 07:08:54 PDT 2001

Julio Huato wrote:

>As the NY Times suggests, in the short and medium run, Mexican
>companies are not even considering competing in the US
>transportation market. The US market is too complex for most
>Mexican capitalists in the business. Despite all risks and
>uncertainties, their business in Mexico is safer and more
>profitable, since they already know their way around. Why, then,
>has this been blown out of proportion in the US? The likely direct
>impact on the livelihood of US drivers doesn't seem to call for it.
>And, related to this, road safety cannot be a significant issue
>either. IMHO, the teamsters would be better prepared to face future
>challenges if, instead of leading alarmist campaigns, start
>rehearsing the International (both in English and Spanish). I mean,
>seriously, try and figure out how to join forces with workers south
>of the border.

The Teamsters have been screwed by two decades of trucking deregulation and union busting - political strategies pursued by many of the politicians they've supported. But it's a lot easier to whip up anxieties about Mexican trucks - which, though Max won't admit it, draws heavily on a racist discourse about dangerous Mexicans - than it is to face up to all their homegrown problems.

Doug