Zionism vs. Black Nationalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 3 10:17:18 PDT 2001

Charles Brown wrote:

>Groups of people today who are oppressed based on racial
>categorization have no problem with you rejecting racial
>categorization, but they have no illusions that you rejecting racial
>categorization will end the police using racial profiles , for
>example.

Of course. Racial categories exist in consciousness and behavior, and it'd be silly to pretend they don't. The question is what we do about that. I don't think the answer is to embrace some kind of turnabout, as Art McGee seemed to be suggesting - e.g., have the "black" people kick the "white" people out of "Africa." If we want a world where race doesn't matter, that doesn't seem like the right way to go.

Doug