Zionism vs. Black Nationalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 3 11:35:01 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>The black community (politically defined within that community but in
>response to growing repression from "outside") has no choice but to
>define itself as the black community.

So Colin Powell, Sarah Jones, Louis Farrakhan, Maxine Waters, Chris Rock, and Charlie Rangel should get together in a room and do this? What is this unified thing called "the black community" (or, as you say later, "Black Community")?

Adolph Reed got the title of his recent book, Stirrings in the Jug, from an observation by Ralph Ellison that there was a tendency "to see segregation as an opaque steel jug with the Negroes inside waiting for some black Messiah to come along and blow the cork." Adolph was lamenting the dominant white tendency to see black people as some contained quantity of homogenous material - a tendency that's survived the demise of segregation. You seem to be doing just that here.

> The bulk of non-blacks in the
>United States don't now give a fuck about what happens to blacks, and
>those who do give a fuck can't in practice do much except in
>collaboration with the black community raising hell. Giving orders to
>the Black Community from outside (as Rakesh tried to do and as you seem
>about to do) or raising sophisticated epistemological doubts about what
>the black community is certainly does not help.

You're giving orders of a sort too, aren't you? Presuming to know what's best for The Black Community, whatever that is?

By the way, Carrol, are you ever going to answer me on whether the fact that 90% of blacks vote for Democrats has any influence on your hostility to Democrats?

Doug