The independent state of Israel...

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Fri Aug 3 12:09:30 PDT 2001

Well, the connection with Germany, Britain, etc. doesn't demonstrate the "annex" thesis. (It would provide some ironic bemusement though, if, during one of those training exercises, a fighter jet sporting the Star of David were to accidentally "interfere" with one wearing the old Imperial German Iron Cross - which they still do, BTW).

"West Germany" may have begun its postwar life as an American annex, but it has clearly evolved towards a state of semi-independence, especially economically. Quasi-protectorate remnants remain, although its not clear what the remaining US troops are "protecting" in Germany (it is clear in Okinawa).

Israel has move in the opposite direction, becoming the "Israel" I refer to today. "Watchdog" is no longer accurate after the 1973 defeat, and especially after Lebanon and the first Intifada, when Washington began to see it not as a "watchdog", but as a net liability (that could change should Pontius Pilate permit the cleansing of the Palestinians west of the Jordan river - a good reason of Empire for "making it happen"). Simply "dumping it" (certainly always a possibility - were dealing with Americans, after all) would - an still will - a furious factional bloodletting within the American ruling class, to the point, perhaps, of endangering the stability of the political regime. So it has been pretty much unthinkable. Meanwhile, tighter political and economic integration with the Empire has acted to counterbalance this geopolitical deficit.

-Brad Mayer