Farrakhan, was Re: Anti-Zionism Is Racism

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat Aug 4 12:22:12 PDT 2001

I'm thinking about whether or not I agree with this --

Carrol Cox wrote:

> I would argue that Farrakhan's racism or anti-semitism has, for the most
> part, only an ideal existence; it never operates as a rationalization of
> actual oppression.

At the same time, most of Farrakhan's utterances about Jews that I have had the opportunity to read have had more to do with Jews as believers in Judaism than as members of a group defined by descent. His objection to them is that judaism says Jews are chosen. He believes Blacks are chosen. Since chosenness is an exclusive franchise, as judaism and Farrakhan see it, only one can occupy the territory of chosenness at once.

In other words, judaism and Farrakhanism seem to be parallel ideologies. Though I can't imagine myself defending the guy I do sometimes get impatient with the way ritualized denunciations of Farrakhan are obligatory for conventional politicians, whereas they are perfectly free to accept endorsements from orthodox rabbis, with no public outcry.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema