RES: famine denial, Jane Austen, Kyoto Agreement

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 21:29:29 PDT 2001

I don't think anyone can talk about the issue of the Indian famines without looking at Mike Davis' recent Late Victorian Holocausts. I'm no expert in Indian historia, but this seems a very fine book to me, scientifically informed, politically astute. The short version is that he attrivutes the great drought realted famines in India in the last qaurter of the 19th century to a confluence of several factors: (1) droughts due to "ENSO," the El Nino connected weather patterns that squelched the Spring monsoons in the late '70s and then 20 years later in the late '90s; (2) British imperial economic policy that promoted railroads, which made grain speculation easy and profitable, while underminding the traditional Mogul systems of hydraulics that had mitigated the effects of early droughts, and (3) a savage deicuation to to a combination of expoer-oriented free trade and punitive means-tested "drought relief" that doomed millions to starvation.

The long and short of it, if Davis is right, is that Mogul India was more productive and better organized to withstand drought, and that Bristh policy systematically underveloped India, quite deliberately, actually, to promote British manufactures at Indian expense,w hiled using India as a reserve granery for the needs of British capital. There is a lot more, all of it interesting, about the Opium trade, and the Gold Standard, etc., but if Davis is even half right, the Warren thesis and Marx;s early speculations about the ultimately beneficant effects of imperialism in India (and China) is indefensible. --jks