The nation of jews...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 5 07:22:34 PDT 2001

Ireland, e.g., has generous passport and citizenship laws for descendents of emigrants from Ireland, but it is not the "state of the Irish people world-wide," such that I, a US citizen whose great-grandmother was Irish, have more rights in Ireland than Mr. Leopold Bloom of Dublin, a life-long resident of that city, barred from marrying (!), owning property, or exercising other rights of citizenship; but that's the situation that obtains, mutatis mutandis, in Israel. And if I insisted that apartheid South Africa had displayed an "ethnocultural definition of nationhood," you might think that although accurate I was being a bit euphemistic.

--CGE