Beeson & Singer/ prenatal diagnosis

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 17:41:37 PDT 2001

Marta,

Thank you for sharing this interesting exchange between Beeson and Singer. What do you think?

I take Singer's side in this instance. Beeson is right to argue that poverty ruins more lives than anything. However despite what Beeson says, I think that it can be devastating for families to have children born with serious defects. ESPECIALLY for poor and lower-middle class families who dont have the money for special training, etc.

I say this all the while realizing reasonable arguments against my position. Namely, people born with even severe impairments can lead rich lives. One need only think of Helen Keller. And I remember that wonderful French/Belgian film (can't remember the name of it right now)where the overworked apollonian banker learns so much from his dionsyian friend with down syndrome. Of course, that was only a movie but I am sure that such things happen in real life also.

So, should we ban ultrasound and amniocentesis? That seems to be what Beeson is arguing. I dont think so. Science is not to be blamed for the possibilites it provides us with. And of course the use of science will be conditioned by the society in which it is used. In class society, technology will be often used for oppression and war. Does that mean we should give up developing technology? I dont think so. In a society where women are looked upon as second-class citizens for whom you will have to pay a dowry, ultrasound will be used to determine whether to abort or not..Again should we do away with the science or struggle against patriarchy and class society which is the real etiology of the problem?

-Thomas