Beeson & Singer/ prenatal diagnosis

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Aug 5 21:28:43 PDT 2001

Luke Weiger wrote:

> > You are not struggling against my oppression by supporting Peter
> > Singer. He's ready to give everyone the right to kill us after birth
> > too.
> > Marta
>
> Peter Singer might beg to disagree.

I don't think so. He lays it out pretty clearly in "Practical Ethics" and "Should the Baby Live" and other work. He believes that if a baby makes a parent unhappy, that parent should have the right to kill the baby up to three months old (some such fudge line) because it is not a "person."

We've already had this discussion on the list and I don't want to repeat it. You could search the archives for those posts. If you want more from a disability perspective try: http://www.notdeadyet.org/ http://www.thalidomide.ca/gwolbring/

both are hosted by disabled persons.

Bioethicists are a questionable bunch and we need not put them on pedestals or give them power over our lives. I highly suggest reading Wesley Smith's book "The Culture of Death: The Assault on Medical Ethics in America."

Marta