back..

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 00:48:30 PDT 2001

--- Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> wrote
> --much better educational system than Argentina
> --much higher domestic savings rate than Argentina
> --English makes technology transfer from Britain and America much smoother
> --no military coups
> --no Juan Peron
>
> I think those five account for most of it.

I think they can be reduced to four by striking out number 3 (I really can't believe this was a significant factor in Argentina's development; there has never been a shortage of English-speakers there). The remaining four can more or less be summarised as "social inequality".

dd

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell