WSJ on Genoa

Tom Walker timework at vcn.bc.ca
Mon Aug 6 07:35:34 PDT 2001

The G8 leaders were eager to claim the moral high ground of being "democratically elected." Perhaps instead of calling the Genoa police actions political repression or police brutality, they could be referred to as "democratic cleansing."

WSJ article concluded,

>Ms. Heigl now will resume work on her master's degree. Earlier this
>year, she visited Peru to collect material for a thesis on the
>collapse of democracy under Alberto Fujimori. She says her experience
>in Genoa has given her a new appreciation of the fragility of civil
>liberties: "I realize now I didn't have to go all the way to Peru to
>do my studies."

Tom Walker Bowen Island, BC 604 947 2213