Why Boomers suck, or, commodify your self-loathing

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 07:49:02 PDT 2001

David

I don't remember if I posted this article before but a study done by Smeal College found that materialistic "tweens" shop more and save less:

The most materialistic youths were less likely to have a savings account (probably in their eagerness to spend whatever money they had, notes Goldberg) than the least materialistic youths (45% vs. 59%).

-- More materialistic youths appeared to be more interested in TV commercials than those who were less materialistic. When asked: "Do you usually watch the commercials on TV most of the time or do you skip over them with a remote control?" 68% of the youths in the upper quartile reported that they were likely to watch the commercials, compared to (the still relatively high) 54% of those in the lowest quartile.

-- When asked: "Do you ask your parents to buy a product because you have seen it on TV?" a significantly higher percentage (77%) of the most materialistic youths answered "yes" as compared to 50% of the least materialistic youth

-- A greater percentage of the most materialistic youths (22% of those in the upper quartile vs. 14% in the lower quartile) reported that they had answered appeals in TV commercials that provided a telephone number to purchase a product.

-- More materialistic youths appeared to be more influenced by in-store promotions than did less materialistic youths. A higher percentage of youths in the upper vs. lower quartile of the YMS measure (29% vs. 17%) indicated that they always talked to their parents about, or pointed to, signs/ads on shelves

The study can be found at: http://www.newswise.com/articles/2001/7/TWEENS.SCB.html

> On a side note, that article mentioned the recent
"Time"
> magazine
> story about parents indulging their children in
material
> goods. It
> reminded me of a book I read recently called
"Affluenza."
> Both the
> "Time" story and the book are insipid; both are
examples

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com