Ghost World/Real World

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 13:27:39 PDT 2001

Peter K. wrote:

And I was reminded of
> this in an article in the Chicago Reader about
> protesters hassling MTV's Real World folks who
> are shooting here in Chicago, just a couple blocks
> from where I reside. [The Real World is a so-called
> reality show which stars the young and the restless]

I haven't been by the building yet, but the Reader article reports third-floor windows "half-covered with steel plates pocked with holes." Very Fortress Real World.

. *The Real World* is a
> sympton of
> gentrification, not a cause.

I thought the Wicker Park case closed in the early 90's. Bridgeport and Pilsen look like the new affordable, mostly un-gentrified "artist-friendly" neighborhoods.

Alec