AFL-CIO: enemy of caribou

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Aug 7 09:54:41 PDT 2001

. . . Pitting jobs versus the environment only guarantees the working class loses, probably on both counts. Instead of sucking up to corporate power Brother Samuel should be pushing for laws, and constitutional amendments to provide for a just transition, to create new good jobs to replace those lost because of environmental impact. And how about fighting for a shorter work week, with no reduction in pay, as has been accomplished in many of America's European "competitors?" . . .

I'm all for building alliances between labor and enviro's, and I'm not defending the deal some unions made w/Bush, but . . .

We have to recognize that supporting enviro measures that destroy jobs and provide a "just transition" is asking to get kicked in the teeth. The Gov is not very good at "just transitions" or replacing lost jobs. The same things were promised by the Clintonoids around the trade deals, and what have we got to show for that? Jackshit.

To reject a tangible (if debatable) offer of good-paying jobs, drilling for oil or anything else, you better have something pretty good to offer as an alternative, both in terms of political feasibility and policy merits. Otherwise you hand labor support to the Bushies.

As far as I can see, the Democrats are nowhere on good-paying jobs these days. So why shouldn't a worker accept offers to drill for oil, build nuclear power plants, or a missile defense system?

mbs