eco-optimism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Aug 7 12:33:17 PDT 2001

At 03:21 PM 8/7/01 -0400, Gordon wrote:
>If I were to discuss labor, money, living standards, political
>relations, crime, the "justice" system, war, the interests of
>non-human animals, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation,
>language, the practices of various religions, diet, poverty,
>police brutality, the death penalty, real estate, homelessness
>and so forth, I could get reliable facts supporting a leftist
>position. But environmentalism, except for its religious
>elements, has apparently been dominated by people who feel it
>is all right to make stuff up and claim that it's factual.

Not really. Environmentalism is no different from other topics mentioned in your missive and, for that matter, most of passes for scientific theory in general. Every one of them is a cognitive strategy that involves two processes: the positive heuristics or imposing a culturally meaningful interpretation on a selectively assembled set of facts, and the negative heuristic or steering any inquiry away from facts that may undermine that interpretation (i.e. dismissing evidence as irrelavant or althogether ignoring it).

What falsifies interpretations, ideologies and scientific theories is not facts, but the socially, culturally and politically constructed rules of what facts count as valid contradicting evidence.

wojtek