Zionism vs. Black Nationalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 7 12:55:17 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

>Well if you insist it was Doug. That's
>why Art blew a gasket. Or at least it
>was a contributing factor.
>
>I can identify w/Doug's sentiment, but I
>have to say it is unrealistic. Maybe
>'idealist' is the right term, for all
>you dialecticians.

Nothing idealist about it. "Race" is produced through social practices and perpetuated through them, and also through ideology, language, symbols. Those are pretty tenacious things - they're how we see the world. As evidence of their tenacity, people who want to fight racism often repeat the racial categories, only with different valorizations, rather than trying to undo them.

Capitalism isn't natural - it's a social construction. Money isn't natural - it too is a social construction. But they're pretty powerful little fuckers, aren't they?

Doug