eco-optimism

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Tue Aug 7 14:03:23 PDT 2001

> Like I say, I wouldn't go all the way with this; there's a real risk
> in climate change and toxic landfills and the rest. And there are
> real social/political and aesthetic reasons not to want to drill in
> Alaska or cover the landscape with suburbs and strip malls. But
> greens slip too easily into the eschatological mode, I think.
>
> Doug
====== What makes it all the more annoying is that greens adherence to evolutionary ecology, conservation biology, ecotoxicology and other rigors of scientific inquiry is conjoined with religious metaphors and analogies in more than the eschatalogical mode. This must be more prevalent in the US for obvious reasons, but methinks it has a lot to do with projecting ego death onto the world at large. Whether this is a result of powerful psychedelics being unleashed on the populace is an interesting question given how they make some users more sensitive and appreciative of the being/becoming/perishing dynamic [trynamic, actually].

The folks who have been pouring over satellite data [Peter Vitousek and Robert Goodland come to mind] for the past umpteen years have lot's of surprises in store for us all I'm sure on the ecosystem health issue and suggestions for what not to do and perhaps more importantly, *where* not to do/build stuff.

Ian