lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 7 17:14:45 PDT 2001

kelley wrote:

> so the whole thing about praxis is b.s. eh?

I use the terms theory and practice. What do you mean by "Praxis"? My general impression over the years (going back to around 1971) is that most uses of the term "Praxis" use it as a bridge to idealist metaphysics.

Neither in theory nor in practice is communciation a philosophical problem. And it is only a practical problem in specific situations. Theoretical studies of communication tend to replace _both_ theory and practice with endless detours into epistemology. I agree with Timpanaro that all legitimate epistemological question belong to neuroscience, not philosophy.

Rhetoric, agitation, propaganda, and theory are legitimate topics of discussion. Communication in the abstract is not.

Carrol