eco-optimism -- give me a damn break!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 8 08:11:15 PDT 2001

Chris Kromm wrote:

>From: Doug Henwood
>> Though I wouldn't go all the way with him, I think James Heartfield
>> (and his former comrades in LM) have a point when they argue that
>> environmentalism appeals to an upper class contempt for the workers,
>> and fits nicely with financiers' taste for austerity.
>
>James Heartfield is able to blather such nonsense -- with other LBOers
>wagging their heads in approval -- because they haven't spent any time in
>the trenches with the environmental justice movement, lead by working class
>African Americans and Latinos, especially in the South.

Well of course. The environmental justice movement is an excellent thing. But that's not mainstream environmentalism - the kind practiced by big DC-based organizations and the philanthropists who fund them (centered around the Rockefeller crowd). Big Green really doesn't care about working class people of any color, unless they crowd into the national parks and create unseemly spectacles.

Doug