eco-optimism -- give me a damn break!

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 09:27:18 PDT 2001

In message <001001c1200f$44272960$ef85f7a5 at u9m6p2>, Chris Kromm <ckromm at mindspring.com> writes
>James Heartfield is able to blather such nonsense -- with other LBOers
>wagging their heads in approval -- because they haven't spent any time in
>the trenches with the environmental justice movement,

How very rude you are

>lead by working class
>African Americans and Latinos, especially in the South.

Well, even if this were true, which by and large its not (the sociology on who is involved in environmentalism is pretty definitive: older, yes older, more middle class people), black people and working class people are often wrong. The issue is in whose interests is the movement. I argue that the content of most environmental movements is conservative, and anti-working class.

-- James Heartfield