eco-optimism

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Wed Aug 8 10:42:51 PDT 2001

> ======
> What makes it all the more annoying is that greens adherence to
> evolutionary ecology, conservation biology, ecotoxicology and other
> rigors of scientific inquiry is conjoined with religious metaphors
and
> analogies in more than the eschatalogical mode. This must be more
> prevalent in the US for obvious reasons, but methinks it has a lot
> do with projecting ego death onto the world at large. Whether this
is
> a result of powerful psychedelics being unleashed on the populace is
> an interesting question given how they make some users more
sensitive
> and appreciative of the being/becoming/perishing dynamic [trynamic,
> actually].
>
> ((((((((
>
> CB: Howabout good ole alienation from living under capitalism as
the cause rather than psychedelics ? Unhappiness from living in capitalist social relations of dog-eat-dog and the rat race.

======= Well it's all of a piece; multicausal/overdetermination and all that. I do think several million people ingesting hallucinogens during the sixties did have a lot do with 'boomers' concerns over the environment the death/narcissism dyad and the anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-violence anti-war ethos, the schizoid attitude towards science and it's appropriation by capital etc. I certainly don't want to romanticize any of that era [I was just a little brat back then], but there is something to be said for taking 200 mics of Albert Hoffman's brew on a beautiful day in an ecology that hasn't been overrun by the logic of metropoles and 'burbs to get a different perspective. Never seen or heard of dogs eating dogs and people have only seen rats race because some humans have created the spectacle-commodity. Race is a silly and tragic concept in more than one sense, it seems.

Ian