lbo-talk-digest V1 #4706

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 8 14:27:40 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

> So, you [Doug] believe that gray-green algae plan out all their wiggles in
> advance? And you planned your gestation and birth in advance?
>
> Carrol

Actually, Doug's insistence that eggs plan their whole life before they allow themselves to be fertilized is a sort of reactionary idealism (probably at bottom a vulgar or mechanical materialism rather than idealism, but we'll let that pass) that was too much even for George Will. Some official early in Reagan's administration, defending a reduction in spending for the disabled, argued that the universe is just and in some sense we all choose our destiny. Will's child suffers from Down's Syndrome, and he wouldn't buy that. I guess Doug would.

Carrol